Skip to content
Search Our Website 01273 609911 Martin Searle Solicitors - logo

Martin Searle Solicitors

Planning & Paying For Care

Community care solicitors explain how we can help secure funding for care fees from health and social care services

“We would like to thank you for your skill, advice and expertise in our case against the Council. We are delighted with the outcome and are very pleased that we were fortunate enough to choose you to represent us.”
‘Chris’, Planning and Paying for Care Client 

Paying for care for elderly or vulnerable people

To protect your family’s welfare, it is important to plan ahead for how you will cope should you or your spouse need to pay for nursing care or a residential home.

If your assessable assets are over £23,250 you will pay care home fees in full unless you are eligible for NHS continuing healthcare funding. In addition to means-testing, other rules will affect what care funding you receive. Funding rules are complex and there are often mistakes when assessing how much someone should pay for their care.

Martin Searle Solicitors specialise in community care law; we can help ensure social services correctly apply financial assessment rules so you do not pay too much. We can also help you to ensure your partner has enough to live on after you move into residential care and may be able to prevent you from having to sell your home to fund your care.

It may be useful to refer to our list of Abbreviations Used in Community Care Law and Abbreviations Used in SEN and Disability Law.

How we can help with care funding

Care funding expert Cate Searle and her team of community care lawyers can help ensure you do not overpay for care. We can advise on deprivation of assets rules and how social services will assess assets including:

  • Income and capital assessments
  • Investments
  • Any property
  • Jointly held assets

We can advise on alternative funding options including deferred payment agreements (social services’ loans) to pay care home fees, and help you understand top up fees and out of area placements.

Help with care funding at home

If you or a loved-one want to be cared for at home, we can help you access appropriate funding including disabled facilities grants for adapting your home. We can also advise on respite care to give a family carer a break, and charging rules for temporary care placements. If you require care and have complex health needs, you may be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare funding of care at home.

Contact us today on 01273 609911, or email info@ms-solicitors.co.uk.

Additional Content