Employer Rights & Responsibilities
Ensuring you fulfil your legal duties as an employer
Businesses work best when they have a happy workforce and can both attract and retain the best people to maximise their productivity. This section sets out your responsibilities as an employer and how to maintain good employment practices by treating your employees fairly.
Your responsibilities as an employer include:
- Fair recruitment practice
- Written particulars of employment (usually in the form of a contract)
- Health and Safety
- Working Time Regulations and Holiday
- Minimum Wage
- Fair treatment which prevents claims of discrimination
- Your duty to consider requests for flexible working
- Your duty to grant maternity leave and pay/paternity leave and pay/parental leave and allow staff to return to the same job
- Abiding by express and implied contractual terms
- Informing and consulting when changes are made
- Auto-enrolment into a pension; &
- Terminating a contract fairly
All of your responsibilities derive from UK employment law and your failure to meet the appropriate standards could result in a grievance and/or claim being made against you or your business.
If you need advice about your responsibilities as an employer, we can help. Contact us to discuss your employment law questions on 01273 609911, or email email@example.com.